Job Description – Department Head
Background: The URJ Henry S. Jacobs Camp is a residential, Jewish summer camp located in Utica, MS that serves campers ages 7-16, who spend between ten days and six weeks on-site during the summer. We strive to create a healthy, nurturing environment for campers and staff to try new activities, build meaningful relationships, and grow their Jewish identities. We are seeking a qualified candidate to join our team as a Department Head.
- Strong background and experience in camping and/or related fields.
- Desire and ability to work with children and adults in a camp setting.
- Ability to creatively plan & schedule programs and activities, and to maximize the skills & talents of staff members.
- Ability to give & take constructive criticism.
- College degree preferred
- Must be self-starter and able to work without constant supervision. Must have leadership skills, ability to motivate, manage, and counsel.
- Attend meetings as member of camp’s Leadership Team. Help formulate and implement policy. Prepare and submit required materials.
- Directly responsible for planning, preparation, and implementation of all evening programs for assigned department; serve as the creative force for department programs, assign staff members to program teams, and work closely with specialists planning programs for your department.
- Directly responsible for consistently having department’s program supply requisitions turned in on time.
- Whenever possible, incorporate department staff members in program planning and leadership. Make all site & supply arrangements.
- Coordinate activities of all groups participating in your department’s activities at a given time: allocation of space, staff, etc.
- Act as role model for department staff. Be a ”counselor’s counselor”, assisting department staff with problems and questions.
- Regularly evaluate the performance of department staff members, following the set guidelines.
- Act on behalf of department on issues involving the camp community.
- Run department staff meetings.
- Serve as next step after counselors/specialists in camper behavior modification.
- Be directly involved with all campers and staff in department. Communicate with the Camp Director and Assistant Director on key matters.
Designated Supervisor: Assistant Director