Job Description – General Counselor
Background: The URJ Henry S. Jacobs Camp is a residential, Jewish summer camp located in Utica, MS that serves campers ages 7-16, who spend between ten days and six weeks on-site during the summer. We strive to create a healthy, nurturing environment for campers and staff to try new activities, build meaningful relationships, and grow their Jewish identities. We are seeking qualified candidates to join our team as General Counselors.
- Skill and ability in working with children. Ability to communicate with, relate to, and serve as an example.
- Ability to serve as an adult role model — surrogate parent — for all campers.
- Willingness and ability to take full responsibility for the lives of campers. Common sense, safety-consciousness, and
- High moral character required.
- Ability to accept guidance and support. Willingness and ability to ask for help.
- Ability to assist in teaching activities.
- Ability to work well with co-counselor(s) and other staff members.
- Directly responsible for all campers living in one’s assigned cabin: day-to-day involvement with campers as individuals, imparting of camp rules, policies and traditions. Help every camper make friends, become acclimated to life at camp, grow towards his or her potential, and become part of the community.
- Responsible for the health, safety, and happiness of all campers at all times.
- Act as “early-warning system”, refer to other staff when appropriate.
- Ensure campers exercise good hygiene and health practices. Notify Nurse of issues.
- Help campers keep track of belongings.
- Directly responsible for cleanliness and good repair of the cabin.
- Participate regularly and enthusiastically in all camp programs.
- Teach or assist in teaching electives and specialties. Plan and lead cabin activities.
- Take an active role in evening program planning.
- Attend in-camp training sessions and staff meetings as required.
Designated Supervisor: Unit Head and Department Head