Solelim: Staff-In-Training Program for Entering High School Seniors
“Solelim” is the Hebrew word for “trail blazer.” In this program, participants will begin their journey to become a part of our incredible Jacobs Camp staff, and build a foundation to move on to other staff roles in the years to come.
The Solelim Program is a unique development and staff training program for rising high school seniors at URJ Henry S. Jacobs Camp. The purpose of Solelim is to develop the next generation of leaders who will continue the legacy of Jacobs Camp. Over the course of the summer, we will explore what it means to become successful staff members, thoughtful members of the camp community, and impactful Jewish leaders.
Equally important to leadership development is the fostering of camp friendships, and Solelim is the perfect opportunity to have a fun-filled summer with friends before future summers on staff require more responsibility.
Solelim Participants will:
- Undergo training in teamwork, problem-solving and communication, all while they are highly involved in daily camp programming.
- Have the opportunity to learn from our visiting faculty who will help them become camp leaders, and teach them valuable skills they can use as Jewish leaders in their home communities.
- Become lifeguard, first-aid, and CPR certified at the beginning of the summer, with no additional cost (full summer participation is required).
- Have unique time off experiences created by the Jacobs Camp team each session and during intersession (for full summer participants).
- Be supervised by Unit Heads and Department Heads during the day. Participants will also be supervised by a Solelim Director and two Solelim advisors throughout the entirety of the program. The Solelim advisors will live in staff cabins with the Solelim participants and provide guidance and supervision during free time.
Session One: Wednesday, June 9 - Wednesday, July 7, 2021
Full Summer: Wednesday, June 9 - Wednesday, August 4, 2021
Single Session: $1,500
Full Summer: $3,000
A note about the Israel 2.0 trip: While we want your teen to have their Israel experience, we also want and need them back at camp as part of our staff in training program - Solelim. We planned the summer with NFTY in Israel so that a teen could participate in Solelim for the first session at camp (June 9th-July 7th) and then go straight from camp to Israel. We are not sure about the exact logistics of getting from camp to NYC for the flights as well as laundry/packing/toiletries and all the other questions you might have - we just know that after all we have been through we can figure out a way to make this happen.