Job Description – Waterfront Director
Background: The URJ Henry S. Jacobs Camp is a residential, Jewish summer camp located in Utica, MS that serves campers ages 7-16, who spend between ten days and six weeks on-site during the summer. We strive to create a healthy, nurturing environment for campers and staff to try new activities, build meaningful relationships, and grow their Jewish identities. We are seeking a qualified candidate to join our team as the Waterfront Director.
- Training and experience commensurate with needs of waterfront areas around camp.
- Teaching experience in swimming and lifeguarding.
- Strong enthusiasm for and broad-based knowledge of swimming and lifeguarding.
- Ability to follow defined teaching requirements, developing own methods of presentation to campers.
- Lifeguard certification and lifeguard management certification required.
- Lead and coordinate waterfront activities for all age groups, as scheduled for each unit including, but not limited to: opening the pool, opening the lake, boating, and fishing
- Coordinate the position of lifeguards and watchers during waterfront activities.
- When assigned, plan and lead age-appropriate unit evening programs, incorporating the pool and/or lake.
- Be available for cabin activities, such as Bunk Night, as requested by counselors.
- Prepare and lead Shabbat afternoon activities including, but not limited to: opening the pool, opening the lake, boating, and fishing
- Act as general resource for other camp activities relating to the waterfront.
- When time permits, participate in other camp programming as is practical.
- Sitting with cabins and interacting with campers is a must.
- Exercise good judgment and safety consciousness at all times. Act as role-model for safety with campers.
- Directly responsible for most maintenance and upkeep of facilities and supplies necessary for the waterfront, such as:
- Taking pH readings for the pool
- Ensuring chemical balance in the pool
- Maintaining a clean pool and locker room space
- Collecting and returning lost and found items from the waterfront areas
- Attend in-camp training sessions and staff meetings as required.
Designated Supervisor: Assistant Director