Job Description – Waterfront Specialist
Background: The URJ Henry S. Jacobs Camp is a residential, Jewish summer camp located in Utica, MS that serves campers ages 7-16, who spend between ten days and six weeks on-site during the summer. We strive to create a healthy, nurturing environment for campers and staff to try new activities, build meaningful relationships, and grow their Jewish identities. We are seeking qualified candidates to join our team as Specialists.
Qualifications and responsibilities apply to all specialists, both in-cabin and out-of-cabin.
- Training and experience commensurate with needs of waterfront areas around camp.
- Teaching experience in swimming.
- Strong enthusiasm for and broad-based knowledge of swimming and lifeguarding.
- Ability to follow defined teaching requirements, developing own methods of presentation to campers.
- Lifeguard certification required.
- Assist the Waterfront Director in coordinating waterfront activities for all age groups, as scheduled for each unit including, but not limited to: opening the pool, opening the lake, boating, and fishing
- Act as head lifeguard during assigned waterfront activities.
- Assist in leading age-appropriate unit evening programs, incorporating the pool and/or lake.
- Be available for cabin activities, such as Bunk Night, as requested by counselors.
- Lead Shabbat afternoon activities including, but not limited to: opening the pool, opening the lake, boating, and fishing
- Act as general resource for other camp activities relating to the waterfront.
- When time permits, participate in other camp programming as is practical.
- Sitting with cabins and interacting with campers is a must.
- Exercise good judgment and safety consciousness at all times. Act as role-model for safety with campers.
- Responsible for assisting the Waterfront Director in most maintenance and upkeep of facilities and supplies necessary for the waterfront, such as:
- Taking pH readings for the pool
- Ensuring chemical balance in the pool
- Maintaining a clean pool and locker room space
- Collecting and returning lost and found items from the waterfront areas
- Attend in-camp training sessions and staff meetings as required.
Designated Supervisor: Waterfront Director